x
By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.
STAY CONNECTED!
    
newsletter-button

TODAY'S OTHER NEWS

Top tips to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning

A high number of people are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning this winter as they do not have a CO alarm in their home.

Somewhat shockingly, research by Energy UK’s ‘CO Be Alarmed!’ campaign earlier this year found that 94% of 2,000 people surveyed for its study were not aware of the risk of not owning a CO alarm.

Although gas safety checks have long been in place in the private buy-to-let sector, carbon monoxide alarms are only required by law wherever there are solid fuel appliances.

But given that carbon monoxide can be omitted from everyday household appliances, such as poorly maintained or faulty boilers or gas cookers, many landlords opt to provide their tenants with carbon monoxide alarms, regardless of whether there are solid fuel appliances.

Carbon monoxide is known as the ‘silent killer’ because you can’t see it, smell it or taste it, which is why it is so important to have an audible carbon monoxide alarm installed.

An estimated 30 people die and a further 4,000 are hospitalised annually from carbon monoxide poisoning in the UK. But many experts believe that the true number is likely to be much higher as the symptoms can easily be mistaken for flu or tiredness.

Abbie Sampson, director of external affairs at Energy UK, said: “As snow sweeps the country and people turn up their heating, it is worrying that one in three people don’t have a life-saving CO alarm which, for around £15, could protect them from this silent killer.

“Follow our simple ABC checklist to stay #COsafe – check you have an Alarm, test the Batteries and make sure you have had an up-to-date gas Check. And, if you are checking in on older relatives or neighbours, make sure you check that they have an audible CO alarm installed – it could save their life.”

The CO ‘Be Alarmed!’ campaign highlights some simple steps you can take to make sure you and your tenants stay safe from carbon monoxide poisoning this winter:

+ Buy and install an inexpensive carbon monoxide alarm - you can get them from DIY stores, high street shops and online - just make sure you check for the safety marks;

+ Like a fire alarm, check it regularly and make sure the batteries are working;

+ Just like your car, it’s important to have your gas appliances, like your boiler and cooker, serviced regularly;

+ If you’re renting your landlord must ensure this done for you every year by a Gas Safe Registered engineer;

+ Be aware of the symptoms of CO poisoning – which included headaches, nausea and dizziness and similar to a common cold or the flu; and

+ And finally make sure you have good ventilation from fires and stoves and if you have a chimney make sure it is swept once a year.

  • icon

    But given that carbon monoxide can be omitted from everyday household appliances

    Come on you dimwit Marc the word omitted should of course be emitted.

    + And finally make sure you have good ventilation from fires and stoves and if you have a chimney make sure it is swept once a year.

    Surely the landlord is responsible for sweeping the chimney?

    You need to proof read your 'work'.

icon

Please login to comment

Zero Deposit Zero Deposit Zero Deposit
sign up