A landlord has been ordered by a court to pay over £6,000 after admitting a string of regulation breaches.
Juliet Petrovic, of Mansfield, admitted to Nottingham Magistrates' Court three charges of failing to provide gas safety certificates and electrical safety certificates as well as letting an HMO which lacked essential fire safety measures.
She was fined £3,500 with costs of £2,500 and a victim surcharge of £181 giving a total of £6,181 to pay.
Mansfield council first became aware of the HMO in October 2019 after officers identified four residents who formed more than two households living in the three-storey property.
The property breached the safety standards required of an HMO with a lack of interlinked smoke alarms and fire doors throughout the property.
The council took legal action after attempts to engage with the landlord to make the necessary improvements failed, and then the case was severely delayed because of Covid.
A spokesperson for the authority says: “This is a fantastic result and shows we will always seek to take legal action against any landlords who put their tenants’ health and safety at risk.
“Although HMOs provide a valuable source of affordable housing, they can also potentially pose significant risks to occupants.
“The council will always seek to work closely with private landlords in the first instance to ensure their properties are of the highest standard and ensure that tenants do not live in poor conditions. However we will also take the appropriate action where landlords refuse to co-operate with our investigations.”
Want to comment on this story? If so...if any post is considered to victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on any basis, then the post may be deleted and the individual immediately banned from posting in future.