Two landlords have been fined for letting out a flat that had no heating or windows.
The flat, located above commercial premises, on Brook Street in Chester, CH1, contained a number of serious fire hazards.
Sandeep Jarjapu, of Belgrave Street in Chester, and Nattha Gohill of Seller Street in Chester, were prosecuted for failing to comply with a prohibition order served under the Housing Act 2004.
Following an inspection by safety officers in December 2017, a prohibition order was made, banning the landlords from renting it out, but a subsequent inspection in June 2018 revealed the property was occupied.
The pair must now pay £5,286 following a successful prosecution by Cheshire West and Chester Council (CWaC).
Maria Byrne, director of Place Operations at CWaC, said: “As a council we are very keen to ensure that tenants living in the private rented sector are housed in properties that are safe and free from hazards.
“We will not tolerate landlords who choose to house their tenants in property that is not fit for human habitation.”
Want to comment on this story? If so...if any post is considered to victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on any basis, then the post may be deleted and the individual immediately banned from posting in future.